|Occupation||Musician, arranger, conductor, producer, composer|
|Associated acts||Duran Duran|
Soul II Soul
Definition of Sound
|Musician / Composer / Producer|
Harvey started his musical life at aged six, as a choirboy at Coventry Cathedral, singing Bach Cantatas and recording Benjamin Britten compositions by the time he was thirteen. He studied at the Royal Academy of Music with Lady Barbirolli and then at Clare College Cambridge. Since then he has worked professionally in music, as a performer, arranger, conductor, producer and composer.
For the last 30 years Brough has worked in an extraordinary number of musical styles, always with the best and most interesting collaborators in each discipline. During the late 1980s he enjoyed success with his own jazz group called Harvey and the Wallbangers, playing major festivals and the main Concert Halls in Europe and the UK. The group appeared on the Royal Variety Show and scores of other television shows including Wogan and Russell Harty. Harvey and the Wallbangers recorded four albums on their own label and a Jazz CD with Simon Rattle, released by EMI.
Since then he has worked with the finest jazz musicians in the UK, including Liane Carroll, Winston Clifford, Julian Siegel, James Pearson, Gerard Presencer and Mike Outram.
For ten years Harvey worked extensively in the pop business with top producers such as Simon Law and Jazzie B, contributing string or brass arrangements to singles and albums by Soul II Soul, D Influence, Definition of Sound, and many others.
Other work includes co-producing the majority of composer Jocelyn Pook’s music for Film and TV, including major releases - Merchant of Venice and Eyes Wide Shut. Harvey has also provided many soundtracks to TV programmes in his own right - his credits include Citizens (Radio 4), The World About Us (BBC1) and Wise Up (Channel 4)
A selection of credits
- Requiem in Blue - Harvey Brough (2010 - Composer, Producer)
- Hopetown House - Clara Sanabras & The Real Lowdown (2009 - Guitar, Keyboards, Percussion, Vocals, Arranger, Composer, Mix Engineer, Producer, Programming, Sequencing & Editing, Recording Engineer)
- Ana Hina - Natacha Atlas & the Mazeeka Ensemble (2008 - Composer)
- Singles Box Set 1986-1995 - Duran Duran (2004 - Arranger)
- Distant Bell - Caroline Lavelle (2004 - Guitar, Keyboards, Strings, Vocals, Wind Instruments, Arranger, Producer, Recording Engineer)
- Cambridge Singers Christmas Album - The Cambridge Singers (2003 - Vocals)
- Untold Things - Jocelyn Pook (2001 - Strings, Vocals, Arranger)
- Greatest Hits - James "J.T." Taylor (2001 - Arranger)
- Tíerras Ajenas - Clara Sanabras (2001 - Strings, Vocals)
- Christmas Collection - Mannheim Steamroller (2001 - Vocals)
- Strange Behaviour - Duran Duran (1999 - Arranger)
- Christmas Day in the Morning - The Cambridge Singers (1993 - Vocals)