|single by Duran Duran|
|Released||8 January 2021|
|Producer||Duran Duran, Mike Garson|
About the Song
Music legend David Bowie passed away 10th January 2016. As a tribute to his passing, Spiders From Mars pianist Mike Garson put together a concert in 2021, featuring cover songs from many artists; amoung them Duran Duran; who decided to cover the song "Five Years".
The song was written by David Bowie and released in the summer of 1972.
Duran Duran performed the song for Mike Garson's A David Bowie Tribute: Just For One Day - which took place 9th January 2021.
Mike Garson reprised his role playing the piano in this version, and can be seen in the video.
An accompanying music video was released January 28th 2021, directed by long-time Duran Duran directer Gavin Elder. The video was filmed in the UK, with special visual effects added in Los Angeles. (YouTube).
"Five Years" did not enter the UK Singles Chart, as it wasn't eligible due to being a download. The song peaked at number 60 on the UK Singles Downloads Chart.
Duran Duran are:
- Anna Ross backing Vocals
- BARLI - backing vocals
- Solas Strings - string quartet
- Mike Garson - piano
- Director: Gavin Elder
- Virtual Production Producer and Virtual Art Director: Scot Barbour
- Virtual Reality Artist: Teek Mach
- Producer: Mantissa Live
UK Film Crew
- DOP: James Tonkin
- Lighting Designer: Josh Adams
- Video Assistant: Salo Schoonwinkel
- Assistant Editor: Tom Ross
LA Film Crew
- Unit Producer: Kerry Brown
- Camera operators: Steve Hadrych III, Tristin Alexandria, Tyler Brown and Dexter Demme
- Lighting Director: James Johnson
- Production Assistants: Laura Diaz and Alyssa Lopez
- Post Production and Visual Effects: Mercury Studios Consultancy
- Post Coordination: Nicole Novak
- Post and VFX Supervisor: John Attard
- Post and VFX Producer: Mark Noland
- Post and VFX Producer: Frances Eames Noland
- Virtual Environment Software: Hassan Farhat
- Production Director, UK: Ken Watts
- Production Coordinator, UK: Orla Clarke
- Costumes: Jeffrey Bryant
Pushing through the market square So many mothers sighing News had just come over, We had five years left to cry in News guy wept and told us Earth was really dying Cried so much his face was wet Then I knew he wasn't lying I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies I saw boys, toys, electric irons and T.V.'s My brain hurt like a warehouse It had no room to spare I had to cram so many things, to store everything in there And all the fat-skinny people, And all the tall-short people And all the nobody people, And all the somebody people I never thought I'd need so many people A girl my age went off her head Hit some tiny children If the black hadn't a-pulled her off, I swear she would have killed them A soldier with a broken arm, fixed his stare to the wheels of a Cadillac A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest, while a queen threw up at the sight of that I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour Drinking milk shakes cold and long Smiling and waving and looking so fine I don't think you knew you were in this song And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor And I thought of Ma and I wanted to get back there Your face, your race, the way that you talk I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk (Five Years) (Five Years) (Five Years) (Five Years) That's all we got, we got five years (Five Years) Stuck on my eyes (Five Years) Five Years, what a surprise (Five Years) We've got five years, my brain hurts a lot (Five Years) That's all we got, we got five years (Five Years) Stuck on my eyes (Five Years) Five Years, what a surprise... (Five Years) (Five Years) What a surprise..... (Five Years) (Five Years) (Five Years) (Five Years)