|Birth name||Brenda Jay Nelson|
|Born||New Jersey, USA|
|Associated acts||Duran Duran|
The Power Station
B. J. Nelson (born Brenda Joy Nelson, Pittsburgh, PA) is an American backing singer and soloist, whose work has included performing with Duran Duran.
B.J. Nelson began her singing career in the late '60's in her hometown of Pittsburgh, PA fronting a band called "Insane Soul." She moved to New York in 1979 and after becoming a member of TM Stevens band, T-Bird, in the early '80's, T-Bird backed a very talented young singer named Stacy Lattisaw on her first national tour. During her time with T-Bird, B.J. met an amazing guitarist by the name of Ronny Drayton and it was her friendship with Ronny that led to her becoming a member of Nona Hendryx' band, Propaganda.
B.J.'s first professional recording on the NY scene was singing backing vocals on Evelyn King's "I'm In Love" LP and singing all female backing vocals on the title cut. Followed by backing vocal credits on Norman Nardini and the Tigers 1980's song "Burnin' Up", followed by credits on Howard Johnson's "Keepin' Love New" LP. She has worked with numerous artists including Melba Moore, Scritti Politti, Sarah Dash, the late Robert Palmer and Blancmange, working on their Mange Tout album with Michelle Cobbs. In 1989 B.J. released a solo album eponymously titled, B.J. Nelson.
In 1983 B.J. worked with Duran Duran on their Seven and the Ragged Tiger album, singing backing vocals with Michelle Cobbs on the tracks including "The Reflex" and "Union of the Snake". She also performed on the band's Sing Blue Silver Tour during 1983/84, featuring in the tour related release including the documentary Sing Blue Silver and the live audio album Arena.
During the 1990s B.J. continued her career with credits on Will Downing's album A Dream Fulfilled, Marc Almond's Fantastic Starr and Vanessa Paradis' self entitled album.
A selection of credits
- Burnin' Up - Norman Nardini and the Tigers
- I'm In Love - Evelyn King
- Keepin' Love New - Howard Johnson
- The Other Side Of The Rainbow - Melba Moore
- Seven and the Ragged Tiger - Duran Duran
- The Power Station - The Power Station
- "Riptide" - Robert Palmer
- "Heavy Nova" - Robert Palmer
- B.J. Nelson - B.J.Nelson
- "Super Nova" (video release) - Robert Palmer
- Mange Tout - Blancmange
- Cupid & Psyche 85 including the tracks "Hypnotize" and "A Little Knowledge" - Scritti Politti
- Provision - Scritti Politti
- Living In Fear - The Power Station
- Fantastic Star - Marc Almond
- Vanessa Paradis - Vanessa Paradis